Companies across the globe continue to struggle with finding and retaining the best talent. It especially hinders startups when they don’t have the funds or capacity to optimize their talent.
Corporations lose out on much-needed revenue when this happens and can’t scale to maximum efficiency.
Most people don’t realize a solution lies over the horizon.
C-Suite leaders must recognize that the secret does not come from the job description but the skills within the jobs they need the most.
Transferrable skills with minimal effort remain essential to success if supervisors have the right employee(s) in mind.
Companies like Google and Apple follow this practice routinely. CNBC reported that they no longer require degrees. Instead, they look at an employee’s experience and skills.
But there’s more than those two components, and it’s time to share those secrets with you.
Here are 5 cost-efficient secrets that you can leverage right now for talent optimization:
1. Utilize tools to allow the ability to see more than one angle
You must leverage an employee’s skills when needed in more than one occupation. Allowing them to take the training and courses will upskill their talent.
However, getting there requires some planning.
Tools like an occupation skills matrix enable employers and employees to see firsthand where their deficits lie, and strengths overlap. A downloadable template on the Upskills Talent Tools page.
Once the critical personnel completes the two-occupation comparison, they should compare the skills within the occupation to the industry certification’s competencies. Here they’ll quickly see the weaknesses to which a plan can be developed.
2. Automate mundane tasks to spend more time on creativity and learning
How many times have we wished for more time to do other tasks? If you’re like me, I wish for this all the time.
Sure a virtual assistant would be beneficial, but that’s another cost. So why not take the time to develop scripts, macros, extensions, and plug-ins to aid your work. Websites such as If This Then That and Zapier have done many things one seeks. The plug-and-play concept will provide you with instant results.
The trove of ideas could include integrating a Sheets document and email addresses from your Gmail account.
3. Take online courses for free!
Who doesn’t love free things?
That’s why I wanted to ensure you knew about these three sites.
- Digital Defynd has over 2 Million learners and over 92,000+ courses. They describe their platform as “the world’s best online courses in one place.”
- Grow with Google contains vital information whether one wants to grow their career, grow their business, or acquire career certificates. The best part about taking these courses comes from knowing these guys are the best in the world.
- Coursea proudly collaborates with over 200+ leading universities and companies such as Duke University, IBM, Stanford University, and Penn University. If you conduct a free course search, you will be pleasantly surprised to see over 2,500 courses available.
4. Getting the right people in the right seat of the bus
Jim Collins’ Good To Great describes the importance of correctly positioning teams for talent optimization.
It also requires knowing when AND who to upskill during this process because having the wrong person in the wrong “seat” can do lasting damage.
To thwart this issue, consider career one stops’ skills matcher.
This free forty-question test helps one determine the best possibilities for them.
Once they’ve completed the test, the results will help to determine better positioning and awareness of these steps.
5. A little at a time
No one ever reaches their destination in one step, nor should we expect to see the results immediately.
However, slow and steady progress makes goals accomplishable.
The most significant investment we can make is when we invest in our talent.
For when we upskill, our possibilities become limitless.